Mulago National hospital has announced that its mortuary is still stranded with dozens of unclaimed bodies of people who were killed by police during the three day free Bobi Wine protest.
SEE ALSO: Free Bobi Wine protest death toll hits 38
One of the members of the hospital management who spoke to this reporter on condition of anonymity says even the casualty and emergency ward is clogged with severely injured people who have to-date remained unattended to. “We have about 86 casualties in our ward alone. Our doctors are overwhelmed,” she says. “I fear that some whose families don’t have money may die of the pain they are undergoing,” she adds.
NBS TV reports that Kampala Capital City Authority mortuary is stuck with six bodies unclaimed from the 37 that they have so far recorded from the Kampala city riots that broke out following the arrest of National Unity Platform Presidential Flag Bearer Robert Kyagulanyi Ssentamu.
This brings the total number of deaths to 49 and counting, with 12 of these recorded at Mulago National Referral Hospital.
Asked for a comment on the pockets of violence, the government through the information Minister, Judith Nabakooba blamed the deaths on Bobi Wine supporters who allegedly confronted the armed forces. “It was stupid of NUP supporters to attack the police,” Nabakooba said at a presser on Thursday. The security Minister, Gen. Elly Tumwiine too on Friday added that as government, they are ready to respond to force with force. He warned that they are on standby to shoot and kill anyone who wants to ‘destabilise the peace of the country’. Gen. Tumwiine’s unempathetic remarks comes barely a day after president Museveni also had warned to quash protestors who are bringing him to the level of violence he is good at.