The National Unity Platform party executive secretary, David Lewis Rubongoya has commented Ugandans for responding rapidly to the party’s appeal for fresh signatures after the first ones were seized by the security forces during the Wednesday raid on the headquarters.
RELATED: 33,000 Ugandans endorse Kyagulanyi’s presidential bid ahead of nominations
Rubongoya says the tremendous response from the public has morale boosted the party even more than before. He says raiding signatures in such a short period is a risk itself given that the deadline was looming already yet the EC had declined to grant an extension.
“Grateful to all Ugandans who responded to our call and signed forms at a terrific pace to enable us beat the deadline for submission of signatures yesterday,” Rubongoya says. He also lauds the NUP coordinators who worked tooth and nail to ensure that the deadline is realised. “Grateful to all teams in the different parts of the country and the team at our Secretariat with whom we worked hard to replace the stolen signatures in a space of two days. 33,000 signatures from 109 districts! Many more are still on the way!,” he adds.
SEE ALSO: EXCLUSIVE: Inside Museveni’s plan to dissolve NUP
Rubongoya further rules out that the state coercion and endless suppression of NUP is instead grooming the coordinators and moulding their hard work. “If you want to see what commitment can do, look at NUP. Our detractors in attempt to discourage us are only bringing out the best in comrades,” Lewis exclaims.
Before the raid, the NUP party had been overwhelmed by the signatures amounting to 7 million which had been collected in preparation for Kyagulanyi’s presidential nomination slates for November, 2. According to the party spokesperson, Joel Ssenyonyi, the NUP had collected all the required signatures although the police seized them all in what appeared to be a sabotage of Kyagulanyi’s presidential ambition.