Education Cabinet Secretary, George Magha, has announced dates for Grade 6 learners to pick Junior High Schools they wish to join.
The Kenya National Examinations Council (KNEC) will open the portal from August 15 to 30, and Grade 6 learners will then be required to select Junior High Schools in readiness for placement.
Speaking to the press on Friday, July 22, CS Magoha stated that the 1.27 million Grade 6 pupils will sit for the national exam on November 28 – 30.
The exams will constitute 40 per cent of the total score while the Grade 4, 5 and 6 school-based assessments will make up the remaining 60 per cent.
Education CS George Magoha addresses the 2nd International Multi-Disciplinary Research Conference on Linking Research, Science Technology & Innovation with Development in Africa at Kabete National Polytechnic on May 5, 2022.
Ministry of Education CS Magoha stated that in January 2023, some 2.51 million learners will be joining secondary school.
He further noted that about 1.27 million learners will transition from Grade Six and another 1.24 million will be moving to high school after sitting for the Kenya Certificate of Primary Education (KCPE) exams.
KNEC had already released guidelines on how the Grade 6 exam slated for November will be conducted.
In a statement to school heads, KNEC Chief Executive Officer, David Njegere, noted that candidates will undergo a School-Based Assessment (SBA) test in their domiciled institutions which will be marked by their teachers.
The outcome of the evaluation will then be uploaded to the portal after which they will register for the national exam.
Learners will then be assigned an assessment number, an equivalent of the index number, which they will use to sit for the Kenya Inter-Mediate Level Education Assessment (KILEA) test.
Pupils will write five papers: Mathematics and English on the first day, Integrated Science and Kiswahili on the second day, and Creative Arts and Social Studies on the third day.
Students carrying out projects in the CBC education system
File Schools will be expected to supply learners with materials needed for the practical evaluations, with KNEC urging schools to improvise some of the resources at their disposal.
Teachers will evaluate the students’ responses and award them marks, which will be uploaded to the KILEA portal by the deadline which will be communicated by KNEC.